Training for a 125 mile charity bike ride

 Ok, let’s get the awkward bit out of the way first. If you can spare some cash to support mine and our team’s effort to pedal from Halton Haven Hospice to Blackpool Tower and back, a massive 125 miles on July 3rd, any donation would be massively appreciated. Please donate at 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pedalwithpaul3

I’ve multiple reasons for taking this big challenge on. This time last year, the Hospice’s patron, Paul O’Neill took on a challenge with his friends to cycle 2,500 miles. At the time, I was really struggling with my mental health, with treatment resistant clinical depression and a huge dose of suicidal thinking. Getting involved in the challenge, by riding 25 miles a day on a static bike at home was a godsend for me. It gave me some time away from feeling tormented, thinking nothing other than keeping pedalling. Through getting involved in the challenge, albeit virtually, it led to meeting some really lovely and supportive people on social media, who 12 months later remain valued friends.

I wanted to somehow pay back all those people who stuck around when times were tough. So signing up for this year’s challenge was a no brainer, even if the task is somewhat daunting. 

Some of you may be thinking we know Blot likes his cycling, so why’s this a big challenge and why should we sponsor him? Well I do love watching cycling, but until last week, I’d not cycled on the road for almost two years. 

Five months ago I was obese, inactive and severely depressed. The only solution that made sense was to end it all as nothing was helping, but my motivation to actually do anything about it meant I spent most of my time asleep, trying to avoid thinking. 

Then I started a programme of personal coaching with Tristan Eaglen Coaching, that was life transforming. Cycling on a turbo trainer was part of the exercise programme that has transformed my life. I thought making the transition from indoor turbo trainer to road cycling would be smooth. But I’d forgotten the challenge head winds and long hills pose!

I’ve only ever ridden alone, so July 3rd will be a new experience. I’ve never taken on anything like the distance we have to cover. 125 miles, over 200 kilometres, way longer than the Tour de France stage taking place that day. 

I’m nervous about it. But I’m also looking forward to riding with a bunch of really lovely, genuine and caring people, determined to raise some very much needed funds for Halton Haven Hospice. 

Any pennies you can spare will put a smile on all our faces on that ride

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pedalwithpaul3

Lots of love 

Blot x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discharged from Mental Health services

An open letter to NHS England & the CQC